Preparing Your Home For Winter: Inside & Out
At Carson Dunlop our main focus is educating you about your home and this information should help to set you up for a toasty winter to come.
Prevention is the key to a safe and comfortable winter. We'll address maintenance items for both the exterior and the interior of your property. Consider the list below as the days get shorter and you need an extra blanket at night.
10 Simple Ways to Protect Your Home This Fall
1. Test smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors
2. Test ground fault circuit interrupters (breakers and receptacles)
3.Check auto reverse mechanism on garage door opener
4. Clean gutters
5. Make sure downspout extensions are in place and ground slopes down away from the building
6.Turn off the outside hose faucets
7. Set humidifier to on position and duct damper
8. Test sump pump
9. Have chimney for wood burning fireplaces/wood stoves inspected and cleaned as needed
10. Have the heating system serviced, including flushing the heat exchanger on high-efficiency furnaces and tankless water heaters/boilers
At Carson Dunlop our aim is to help homeowners stay warm, safe, and dry. We believe that knowledge is the best tool when it comes to protecting the biggest investment of your life: your home.
If you have a Home Inspection topic you'd like us to address in future Newsletters or on our blog, make sure to Tweet us @carsondunlop.com - we'll do our best to help out.